Welcome to I.D.E.A.S., Inc. We are a research-based consulting firm that provides
guidance with philosophies, programs, and environmental designs for both healthy
and active as well as frail and impaired older adults. Whether you're considering
new construction, major renovation, or modest changes on a limited budget, call
us (440-256-1880) to discuss how our services can meet your needs. All of our
staff are Certified Aging in Place Specialists (CAPS) as designated by the National Association of Home Builders.
- Approaches for Creating a More Resident Directed Care Community
- Staff Training
- Dementia Programming
- Operational Programming and Evaluation
- Architectural Programming
- Design Review
- Space Utilization
- Product Selection
- Alzheimer’s Disease and Related Dementia
- Rehabilitation Programming
- Dining Services
- Special Care Unit Development
Using the Environment to Support Communication
and Foster Independence in People with Dementia: A review of case studies in long term care settings
This paper shares some of the goals and outcomes from a project funded by the National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders. Three long term care communities identified aspects of the physical environment that they thought were negatively impacting the residents for whom they care. Given a three-six month time frame and a restrictive budget, the staff from nurs≠ing, rehabilitation, and activities worked together to make a positive change in both the environment and the residentsí quality of life.
Adjustable IDEAS Assistive Wardrobe by Claflin
Do your residentsí current closets make it difficult or unsafe for them to easily get their belongings out? Are they at risk of losing their balance? Looking for ways to incorporate culture change and person centered care into your program? Want to support resident safety and autonomy?
Based on Universal Design principles, the IDEAS Assistive Wardrobe by Claflin targets these problem areas and more. Developed and studied for 5 years by Dr Margaret Calkins at IDEAS, the Assistive Wardrobe includes features that research has shown support the safety and independence of your residents. The wardrobe system is designed with durability, accessibility and flexibility in mind. It is available in different styles and finishes. We can also redesign your existing closets to incorporate the versatile and adaptable features of the IDEAS Assistive Wardrobe by Claflin
- 4 pull-out adjustable shelves
- 1 ruby red grab bar for greater stability
- 2 fully adjustable pull out clothing bars for easy access
- 4 fully adjustable drawers with “see-through” fronts to help recall where clothing is stored
- 1 ruby red basket on the door for everyday items
- 1 door mirror and 1 clothes hook
- An optional light that turns on automatically when the door is opened, especially useful when the room is dark.
- The Assistive Wardrobe system is fully adjustable for each individual resident – No tools required!
- Proudly made and assembled in the USA.
- Available Colors: Acajou Mahogany (AM), Bannister Oak (BO), Oiled Cherry (OC), Select Cherry (SC)
- Dimensions: 36" W x 24" D x 76" H
- 18" LED light that turns on automatically when the door is opened, especially useful when the room is dark
- Traditional crown molding - Solid Maple
- Crown molding - Solid Maple
- Black keyless door lock, CAM style, 1 per door
CMS Clarifies Handrails in Corridor Requirement.
Based on an inquired submitted by Margaret Calkins, CMS has clarified that handrails are only required in corridors where there are walls to attach them to, not that walls are required for handrails to be attached to. Since corridors are not defined as having two walls, this allows for 1-sided corridors, with the second side open to shared social spaces.
Click here to read the request for clarification and the response